Sunday, October 23, 2011

It's A Small World, Brooks

The ultimate honor to a living legend was bestowed upon Brooks Robinson yesterday as the city of Baltimore celebrated the unveiling of a remarkable statue in Brooks Robinson Plaza just across the street from Camden Yards. The Governor, the Senator, the Artisan, the Philanthropist and the home-grown sports fan turned actor all gave wonderful tributes to the humble man from Little Rock, Arkansas that Baltimore has claimed as their own. By the time Brooksie began his acceptance speech there wasn't a dry eye in the crowd.

I had the pleasure of meeting Brooks Robinson in 1993 when he made his first appearance at the DugoutZone while it was still in the Chatham Mall. We have gone on to forge a great relationship over the years. While sitting and listening at the ceremonies yesterday it seemed like I have known Brooks ever since his childhood in Little Rock. In some ways just maybe I have!

On a recent trip to Little Rock to spend time with family after the passing of a favorite uncle I was able to visit the boyhood home of Brooks on Dennison St. I was amazed at how close it is to where my grandfathers corner grocery store used to be. I couldn't help but wonder if Brooks had ever wandered into the store after a youth league victory to grab a pop or an ice cream.

I drove by famous Little Rock Central High School where my cousin went to school two years behind Brooks. I thought about Janice Ward's story (Janice recently called the store to ask how to send in an item for Brooks to sign). Janice and I have since had some great telephone conversations. She was one year behind Brooks at Central High and recounts as to what a great guy Brooks was as a student there. She remembers Brooks always shouting down the hallways to say hello and that he always had time to befriend anyone and everyone. Janice now lives in North Carolina. On my visit last month I found out that Janice's husband was my cousins pastor in Little Rock before retiring.

Summer vacation for the Hubata's always meant a drive from Chicago to Little Rock to visit my mothers family. Fair Park was always one of my favorite stops in Little Rock. In addition to historical Ray Winder Field where the Arkansas Travelers played AA baseball, the park was home to amusement rides and many more attractions to captivate my interest. On my recent trip I stopped by Ray Winder Field and wondered how many home runs bounced off cars on the new interstate and whether Brooks ever hit one out the year he played for the San Antonio Missons.

Bill Valentine was an American League umpire from 1963 through 1968. He went on to be the President and General Manager of the Travellers. I talked with Bill when I was in Little Rock looking for a Brooks anecdote or two. Though Bill didn't care much for most of the Orioles (I'm sure he had his share of run-ins with The Earl), he certainly had great things to say about Brooks. He told me the story when he was behind home plate with Brooks at bat. Two low & inside pitches were thrown that Bill called strikes. Though the O's dugout was howling at Bill in unison, Brooks didn't say a word. Instead he headed towards the dugout. When Bill told Brooks "that was only two strikes - where are you going"? - Brooks just said "Shucks, Mr Valentine, I am going to get my sand wedge so that I might be able to hit the next one"

There were many nice people in Little Rock eager to talk about Brooks. Don Ernst, a Central Arkansas baseball historian in his own right gave me many wonderful leads. My biggest find however was at the Little Rock Central Library. There I was able to view years of microfiche of the Arkansas Democrat newspaper. Rodney Worthington, my uncle who passed, was a photographer and reporter for the Democrat. It was there that in addition to numerous stories about Little Rocks favorite son including a twelve day run of excerpts of Brooks' "Putting It All Together" book release I was able to find the Holy Grail.

The rules in 1955 stated that a major league baseball club could not sign a high school player until after his graduation. Though Brooks had already decided that he would sign with the Orioles the actual contract could not be completed until after graduation day. So it was on May 29, 1955 that the official photo was published - Brooks boarding a plane with O's chief scout Arthur Ehlers headed to Baltimore for the first time - photo by Rodney Worthington!

At the end of the ceremony yesterday I realized that it was not only myself that felt this lifelong connection with Brooks Robinson - it was everyone in attendance and everyone that Brooks has touched. As the man from Glen Burnie shouted yesterday, "We love you Brooks!"

Brooks Robinson will appear at the DugoutZone this coming Saturday, October 29th. Brooks will greet fans and sign autographs from noon until 1:30 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment